Our Next Anthology: FRIENDS AND ANEMONES
Our first illustrated poetry anthology, An Assortment of Animals, continues to have great success! It debuted in 2018 at over 15 local booksellers and libraries, allowing authors and illustrators to present at over 20 local events, and was showcased in two art shows. It paved the way for the Writers’ Loft authors and illustrators to form lasting relationships in the Greater Metrowest book community and to give back with outreach projects like our poetry workshop and book donation to children through the non-profit 826 Boston. The book itself features stirring poems and beautiful artwork from upcoming authors and illustrators alongside Caldecott Honor-winning Brian Lies and veterans Jane Yolen and Josh Funk.
The Writers’ Loft and Writers’ Loft Press are excited to do it again!
Our next illustrated poetry anthology, Friends and Anemones: Ocean Poems for Children, will take authors and illustrators from finished draft of poems and illustrations through collaborative critiques from peers, into work with art directors and editors, to marketing alongside our veteran marketing team, and finally to getting their polished product into the hands of fans through events at local booksellers, libraries, schools, and other local communities.
This time, a panel of judges will decide which blind entries will receive publication in the anthology. We’re excited to welcome judges Kip Wilson and Matt Forrest Esenwine to our anthology community! Their poems will also be featured in the book.
The entry deadline has passed—winners will be announced on November 1!
FRIENDS AND ANEMONES Anthology full schedule:
• September 30, 2019: poems submitted
• October 30, 2019: final poems chosen by judges
• November 1, 2019: winning poets and artists announced
• November-December 2019: poetry critique groups held, artists working on sketches
• February 15, 2020: Preliminary sketches due for artists
• February-March 2020: Artist critique groups held
• April 1, 2020: final sketches due
• May 30, 2020: final art due
• June-September 2020: Book in production
• November 2020: Book released
• Dec 2020-April 2021: Promotion of book, primarily focusing lots of bookstore and library and school visits in April, poetry month